Next: Graphic/Image File Formats
Up: Introduction to MIDI (Musical
Previous: MPEG 4 Structured Audio
Some good texts on these areas include:
- A programmer's Guide to Sound, T. Kientzle, Addison Wesley, 1997
- Audio on the Web -- The official IUMA Guide, Patterson and Melcher,
- The Art of Digital Audio, Watkinson, Focal/Butterworth-Heinmann.
- Synthesiser Basics, GPI Publications.
Signal Processing: Principles and Applications, Brook and Wynne, Hodder and Stoughton.
Digital Signal Processing, Oppenheim and Schafer, Prentice Hall.
- E. D. Scheirer, "Structured audio and effects processing in the MPEG-4 multimedia standard", ACM Multimedia Systems, in press.
- B. L. Vercoe, W. G. Gardner, E. D. Scheirer, "Structured
Audio: Creation, transmission, and rendering of parametric sound representations", Proc.
IEEE, in press.
Try some good sources for locating Digital Audio/internet sound/music materials at
Audio on the Web
- Audio File
- Harmony Central: MIDI Tools and
Resources - excellent resource. full
documentation of the MIDI specification, guides to making a MIDI interface, links to
development tools, keyboard specific resources and more.
Midi. Excellent Midi/Audio Information Resource.
- Learning about MIDI, zZounds.com
- MIDI Farm - hub for MIDI on the Web. Includes
their own HTML newsletter.
- MIDIWeb -
resources for the MIDI community.
Andre's MIDI Page - files and
- AWEsome MIDI - source
of files, awe 32, awe 64 patches/utilities and related software and tools.
- Best of MIDI - dedicated to
the definitions and standards of MIDI and of course, MIDI files.
- Charles Belov's MIDI Tips
- Computer Karaoke - Karaoke on
- Great MIDI
Conspiracy - find out why MIDI sites are shutting down.
- Grinding Wall - MIDI Vault of the
Forge - renditions and remakes of various genres of the underground.
- GŁnter Nagler's MIDI Utilities - MIDI converters
with C++ source code, executable for PC (MSDOS and Windows95) midi format 1<->0
conversion, error check, file repairs, etc.
- Introduction to MIDI - wondering
what MIDI is? Here you go.
- Jim's MIDI Links -
arranged by artist (135+) in the following genres. rock, alternative, pop, r&b, rap,
dance, hard rock, and metal.
- Jon's Amazing MIDI Quiz
Thingy - guess the name of the show/film from the crappy MIDI version of it's title
- Macintosh MIDI User's
- MIDI Archive, The -
documentation, synth patches, MIDI programmes and utilities, information on MIDI and much
- MIDI Business On-Line - source for midi
files and information and resources related to the enjoyment and making of midi
- MIDI Connection - links and
mailing lists concerning sounds and information files for synths and samplers.
- MIDI Explorer Search Engine - finds rare songs or
organizes all versions of a popular tune.
- MIDI Guitar - Info & resources for
- MIDI Land -
- MIDI Mania -
Betty's MIDI Page - original MIDI compositions and lots of interesting links to
other MIDI sites.
- MIDI Music for
Worship - A resource page for people using MIDI Music for worship services with or
- MIDI Music
Web Site - files, glossary, explanation of MIDI, tools, shareware, MPEG 3
information and much more.
- MIDI Tips for Webmeisters -
explains the realities of embedding MIDI files in a web page.
- MIDI Universe - a
midi-seeking robot has been exploring the MIDI Universe. Universal questions such as the
largest stellar sites, the most duplicated stars and more are answered.
- MIDI Zone - home of MidiSeek, a midi search engine.
Also includes more files than we have space to mention.
- MIDI4U - place to expand your MIDI collection.
MIDIbase - searchable database for midi and
computer-music related websites. Hardware, software, events, education, events,
midi-files, sounds, techno, ambient, etc.
- MIDIs-R-Us - bands, cartoons, t.v.,
movies and much more.
MIDI Page - explains what MIDI is, techniques, connecting MIDI to a PC, and
- Name that MIDI - name
five MIDI songs and have your name put up on the MIDI Hall of Fame board.
- Pianocorder to MIDI Project -
Description of a project to digitally convert Pianocorder tapes into MIDI files.
- Project Beethoven - collection of MIDIs
written without the use of hearing, written by various composers around the
Guide to MIDI and the Macintosh
- Twin Cities MIDI -
MIDI-users contact list, providing names and URL's of other MIDI users on the internet,
as well as a special Macintosh MIDI section.
- Ultimate MIDI Page - includes explanatory
information about midi as well as an extensive index of other midi sites.
MPEG 4 Pages: