Next: Storage Compaction
Up: No Title
Previous: Multiprogramming with variable partitions
- Determines where in storage to put incoming programs and data
- Three strategies most frequently mentioned :
- Best fit strategy : An incoming job is placed in the hole where it
best fits (i.e. the amount of free space left is minimal)
- First fit strategy : Placed in the first available slot large
enough to hold the job
- Worst fit strategy : Place in storage in the largest slot available.
The remaining may still be large enough to hold another job.
Many variations to these strategies are possible.
Omer F Rana
Tue Feb 11 19:21:10 GMT 1997