|John McLaughlin plays Bill Evans||Time Remembered|
A long promised tribute album to the late pianist Bill Evans was released in 1993. McLaughlin took the pains to score such classics as Very Early, Turn Out The Stars and Waltz for Debby for five guitars and acoustic bass. His student, Jan Maresz, provides the bottom and the European Aighetta Quartet, featuring four guitars, supplies the changes and context. McLaughlin, in quite clear liner notes, tells us the pieces have much the feel of classical music to them, but he had to infuse some improvisation in order to fully satisfy his desires.
1. Prologue - (2:14) (B.Evans)
2. Very Early - (4:20) (B.Evans)
3. Only Child - (5:06) (B.Evans)
4. Waltz for Debby - (4:55) (B.Evans/Lees)
5. Hommage - (2:16) (J.McLaughlin)
6. My Bells - (3:22) (B.Evans)
7. Time Remembered - (3:59) (B.Evans)
8. Song for Helen - (1:54) (B.Evans)
9. Turn Out the Stars - (6:26) (B.Evans)
10. We Will Meet Again (for Harry) - (4:20)
11. Epilogue - (1:14) (B.Evans)
John McLaughlin - acoustic guitar
Recorded in Milan, March 25 - 30, 1993.
|Verve 519 861 (p) 1993|