Next: The Physical Design Layer
Up: Networks How
Previous: Switched Networks
Connecting two computers together is a straightforward task. However,
connecting several computers together is different:
- They can be connected in a variety of ways (Fig. 3.12).
- Advantages and disadvantages of each method of connection.
- Star, Hierarchical and Loop configurations are all point-to-point
- Each computer communicates directly with its neighbour.
- Relies on Neighbour to rely data around network.
- Problems if on computer fails.
- Star extreme example as a central computer is present. If this
Figure: Network Topologies
- Bus and Ring configurations are called broadcast topologies.
- A message is placed on the bus or ring containing the name of the
intended receiving computer.
- All computers listen constantly.
- If name identified by listener, message is captured.
- Only one node can broadcast at a time: Needs a Protocol.
- Bus and Ring Topologies very common.