Next: Learning II
Up: Learning by Problem Solving
Previous: Learning by Macro Operators
Chunking involves similar ideas to Macro Operators and originates from
psychological ideas on memory and problem solving.
The computational basis is in production systems (studied earlier).
SOAR is a system that use production rules to represent its knowledge. It also
employs chunking to learn from experience.
Basic Outline of SOAR's Method
- SOAR solves problems it fires productions these are stored in
long term memory.
- Some firings turn out to be more useful than others.
- When SOAR detects are useful sequence of firings, it creates chunks.
- A chunk is essentially a large production that does the work of an
entire sequence of smaller ones.
- Chunks may be generalised before storing.